a blog by Clark H Smith

Friday, August 24, 2012

Ball Park Franks

While not completely demeaning to men, the advertiser even goes to the extreme of trademarking their hook line: "Men, easier fed than understood."(TM)  Historically, the 'joke' has been that women are more complex and inscrutable.  I'm not sure I understand how turning the tables advances the sale of hot dogs.  Somehow, I see a wife walking into the house, pulling a pack of franks out of the grocery* bag, throwing it at her husband, and shrugging, "I simply don't understand you."

*Why do I have the wife toting the grocery bags?  Because this commercial is addressed toward women (referring to men in the third person) and presumes that women will buy this brand because Ball Park realizes how incomprehensible men are.  This is a lousy commercial all the way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment